ECD Pilgrim

I have lived my entire life near either side of the Eastern Continental Divide. And, I am a pilgrim on a road that is narrow and not easy that leads to the Celestial City of God. On my journey, I attempt to live and apply the Gospel in this world that is not my home. These are some of my observations from a Biblical and Reformed perspective.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Living in the World
Remembering

Decoration Day was started in Boalsburg, PA, by 3 women who wanted to honor the Civil War dead. A point of order: Decoration Day is May 30th not the manufactured or fake holiday the enables federal workers to have a three day weekend at the end of May. Now it is called Memorial Day and we celebrate the warrior dead of all wars, those who have served in the military, KIA or not, and all of our ancestors who have gone before us and through their sacrifices enabled us to have a better life. It is a time of remembering.

Each year I prepare for May 30th by attending those places where my relatives are buried and planting their graves with annuals. In St. Luke’s cemetery in Luthersburg, PA, my paternal grand parents and great grandparents are buried. It is the former German Reformed Church where they were married and my father baptized. Also, in Luthersburg, is the Union cemetery, one of thousands of Union cemeteries in the county first established for Union Civil War dead. It is there my parents are buried. Finally, on to Sykesville, PA, the place of my birth, where my maternal grandparents, my Uncle Milton and infant aunt are interred.

This year I added to my itinerary, a trip to Paradise, PA. Like Sykesville, it is in Jefferson County, between Sykesville and Big Run, PA. The reason was to find the graves of my mother’s grand and great grand parents have their graves. I needed assistance in finding the graves, so I journeyed to Punxsutawney, PA, to pick up my mother’s sole surviving cousin, Daryl Kicher. Daryl is 82, failing fast, and living in what he calls a “rest home” in Punxsutawney. After lunch we began our journey to Paradise; what a journey it was!

As I said, Daryl is failing, and he had difficulty in remembering exactly where the cemeteries were. So, we spent a pleasant May afternoon covering most of the eastern Jefferson County winding, macadam roads. It included a run through Wishaw, a town named after W. I. Shaw, the mine superintendent of what was the second largest bituminous deep mine in Pennsylvania at the beginning of the 20th century. Like all the old Pennsylvania bituminous deep mine towns such as Kramer, Snowshoe, Grassflat, and Helvetia, there is not much of the community and no prosperity left in these places. Eventually, we found the former churches of Paradise and their church burial yards holding ancestral Kichers.

Remembering. We do not do enough of that. We are busy folks, living life to its fullest [usually understood in a selfish manner] at breakneck pace. We have little time for remembering. But, the problem with that is not the remembering, it is the opposite side of the coin. Forgetting. We forget where we come from and who sacrificed and worked so that we could be better off than they were. We forget how we were blessed with caring and loving forbears. We forget who we are. Remembering is an antidote to self-centeredness and self-focus. So, on this coming Decoration Day take time to remember so you do not forget the people who make it possible for you to be who you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home