ECD Pilgrim

I have lived my entire life near either side of the Eastern Continental Divide. And, I am a pilgrim on a road that is narrow and not easy that leads to the Celestial City of God. On my journey, I attempt to live and apply the Gospel in this world that is not my home. These are some of my observations from a Biblical and Reformed perspective.

Monday, July 10, 2006

A 21st Century Parable
Grace Alone

He could not quite pinpoint when he realized there was a buzzing in the line ahead. He was wondering why the line was so long and about the guy immediately ahead of him. Agitation seemed to accompany the mummer as it passed back the line. Suddenly, the man in front whirled around and whispered, “They gots a new way of judgin us.” The words did not sink in at first because he was repulsed at the personal appearance of his messenger. Well over six feet tall and obese with an unkempt appearance. His odor reflected an aversion to soap and water and when he spoke his breath was like burned bacon grease. How could this guy be here, he thought?

Then it sunk in, “what was this new way of judging?” As he pondered the meaning, the line began to move more quickly. In a manner of minutes, he was approaching the front of the line. The slovenly one reached the front position. He heard the name “Harry Ball” called and the wretch in front stepped forward about ten feet. He stood beneath an arch of the whitest light he ever saw, around ten feet high against a blue-black background. One lone man stood beneath the arch under the intense white light of the arch. In no time, the disheveled one moved through the arch and seemingly melted into the background.

“Al B. Good” a disembodied voice announced in a flat unemotional way. Hearing his name resulted in an emotional jolt. He recovered and stepped forward. He looked into a face of perfect features and into brown eyes of crystal clarity with intensity he never before experienced. This was not how Al envisioned St. Peter. A voice spoke but the lips on the face did not move: “Because you humans are so interested in competition, comparisons and personal achievement, we have instituted a new 100 point system of earnings to enter heaven. Any questions?”

Al thought, this should be easier than I expected. Al was startled when St. Peter said, “Maybe not.” He read my mind, Al thought nervously. “That is right, nothing is hidden here…deed, word or thought, now and forever.” Beads of sweat beaded on Al’s brow. “Do you have anything you deed to be an accomplishment in your life you wish to submit for consideration?” Al swallowed hard. What he had done with his life started to seem insignificant in the present situation.

Al squeaked out, “I was Rotary Man of the Year in 1987. I was on the United Way Board of Directors for 30 years, served on the school board, always voted and paid all taxes when due. “One point,” St. Peter announced in a monotone. Al grimaced and began to protest. “Acts of civic righteousness have very little value in eternity for the Gospel of Christ,” Peter responded before Al could say anything.

“O.K.”, Al said. “I was married for 45 years, never cheated on my wife, my kids were always on the honor role and they all have good jobs. I coached little league when my kids played and attended all their school events.” “Three points,” was St. Peter’s response. “Wh..,” Al tried to exclaim, but before he could say anything, St. Peter injected, “Those who do not know my Lord and Savior have the same list of merits.”

Al began to feel very queasy, so he gave it his best shot. “I was on the church board for 15 years, taught Sunday school for 12 years, have been a church member for 51 years, attended services whenever I was in town, put $50 in the offering plate every Sunday, made 3 mission trips to Banana Republic and served at the church dinner for the poor every year.” Without emotion, St. Peter said, “Five points.” Al was beside himself. “That’s not fair,” he screamed. “Didn’t you hear what I did?” The crystal brown eyes narrowed. “Why do you humans think you should be rewarded for doing what you should do?”

Al was shattered. He broke out in tears and stammered, “If all I did in my life counts for so little, I can only rely on God’s saving grace to enter heaven.” A voice like thunder and a thousand waterfalls boomed: “Enter the portals of heaven my child.” Without effort, Al walked through the arch, not into a black/blue background, but into a place illuminated by God’s glory where those of His saved by grace alone through faith alone on account of Christ alone eternally walk in light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home