ECD Pilgrim

I have lived my entire life near either side of the Eastern Continental Divide. And, I am a pilgrim on a road that is narrow and not easy that leads to the Celestial City of God. On my journey, I attempt to live and apply the Gospel in this world that is not my home. These are some of my observations from a Biblical and Reformed perspective.

Monday, August 28, 2006

The Church
Expelled from Georgetown

You have probably heard by now that Georgetown University has expelled Affiliated Ministries…a consortium of evangelical groups…from holding any activity or having any presence on its campus. The letter is reproduced at Touchstone http://merecomments.typepad.com . It was signed by the Rev. Constance Wheeler as Protestand Chaplain, Team Leader.

This raises a number of questions:
1. What happened to the ecumenism of the Roman Catholic Church?
2. How did a female reverend come to have a position at a Jesuit college?
3. Were the Muslim and Jewish groups also barred from campus?
4. This was done after “dialogue” with the Lord! I did not know the Lord dialogued over such issues. I thought He has spoken through His Word. As one comment to the web site said, is there a transcript available?
5. Protestant ministries has decided to move in a new direction according to the letter. Would that be toward Rome?
6. The Saudi connection with Georgetown through big bucks has been well publicized. Maybe it takes contributions now to be heard by Hoyas.

It is all very interesting in an era when everyone is to have a voice in our diverse culture where all ideas are acceptable. I guess all the posturing between evangelicals and Catholics together was just that. There is a chasm of difference between Roman churches and evangelical Protestant churches. No group knows that better than committed Jesuits. Maybe Georgetown should be applauded for taking a stand on their theological differences with Affiliated Ministries?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home