ECD Pilgrim

I have lived my entire life near either side of the Eastern Continental Divide. And, I am a pilgrim on a road that is narrow and not easy that leads to the Celestial City of God. On my journey, I attempt to live and apply the Gospel in this world that is not my home. These are some of my observations from a Biblical and Reformed perspective.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Celtic Proverbs
Live, horse and you will get grass.

Saint Paul tells us that faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. On the face of it, this is nonsense, for what could be more unsubstantial that that which is yet to be made manifest or less evidential that that which we cannot see? But if we deny that existence of everything that we have yet to experience, how can we discover anything that we can make truly our own? And if we are so obsessed with the tangible and the quantifiable that we cannot cope with the uncertain and the unknown, and we in Robert Browning’s words, “finished, finite clods, untroubled by a spark”, what is life but the tedium of waiting until the dry winds of autumn blow us finally away?

R. Martin Helick, Travelers From an Ancient Land, Book XII, An Chros, (Regent Graphics: Swissvale, PA, 1993)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home