ECD Pilgrim

I have lived my entire life near either side of the Eastern Continental Divide. And, I am a pilgrim on a road that is narrow and not easy that leads to the Celestial City of God. On my journey, I attempt to live and apply the Gospel in this world that is not my home. These are some of my observations from a Biblical and Reformed perspective.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Celtic Proverbs
God’s grace is a worthy sustenance.

That God is at once extrinsic to us and immanent within us is an intuitive thing and must be taken on faith. Because there are many ways in which that immanence can be construed and because divine possession is to the ego as gasoline is to fire, innocent millions have been sacrificed in territorial disputes. It has been said that this tells us that the link between man and God brings nothing but trouble and should therefore be denied. But that is at best a pragmatic judgment, circumventing the truth that it is not God but man who does the mischief. And that it is not His grace that is the culprit but our blundering attempts to describe it.

R. Martin Helick, Travelers From an Ancient Land, Book XII, An Chros, (Regent Graphics: Swissvale, PA, 1993)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home