ECD Pilgrim

I have lived my entire life near either side of the Eastern Continental Divide. And, I am a pilgrim on a road that is narrow and not easy that leads to the Celestial City of God. On my journey, I attempt to live and apply the Gospel in this world that is not my home. These are some of my observations from a Biblical and Reformed perspective.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Way it Was
Teenagers in 1936

Several years ago in preparing for the sale of my parents’ home, I came across the first edition of The Brady Bugle. This was the student newspaper of the defunct Brady High School. This March 1936 issue was entitled the Senior Edition. Dad had an article in it, thus his retention of this heirloom. You will see a great contrast between the concerns and wit of teenagers [I am sure they were not called such in 1936!] then and teenagers now. You will enjoy this but it should also give you great concern. By reading The Brady Bugle, I think you will begin to understand what a godless, violent, family shattered, self-centered, sensate culture has done to 21st century young people over a 70 year period.

Knarr’s View on Activities
By James Knarr

A majority of the students of this high school will never continue their education in college, so why should we spend all our time in preparation for college courses? In my four years at school, I could not have gained more practical knowledge in such courses as home economics, manual training and bookkeeping, than to spend my time learning facts. I am not complaining about learning facts, because I realize that facts are the foundation of all education.
If my daily routine includes something I like as well as what is necessary for me, my interest in all my work would naturally be stimulated. Is there a student among us who will not have to perform the ordinary tasks around the home? It is true we can learn those things from experience, but experience is a dear school. I believe it would be an advantage to each student to know those these simple principles rather that to learn them for himself by trial and error method. Our daily life would be made happier by application of these courses and undesirable home conditions aided. Courses of appreciation, such as Art, are necessary if we are to enjoy the more beautiful things of life.
What we do in school does determine our future lives. It often brings out in us some talent that might otherwise never materialize. If our daily activity is increased by extra curriculum we would have a better chance in finding something that would appeal to us. There courses should be optional as it would not pay to force such studies on those who do not are for them, though these are people who may need them most. Study of manual training and home economics should be included in B.H.S.

Tall Story Reveals All
By Clarence Kriner

I suppose you folks would wonder how I came to be a large pepper manufacturer, at which I am now a rich man. A friend and I went into the north of Alaska for a camping trip in the dead of winter. Imagine camping in the winter! We did not take enough supplies along, but that was not unusual. This time we forgot the pepper, the same of which I am very fond. It was a bitterly cold morning. I arose to kindle the fire. I lit the fire and, to hurry it, I poured some kerosene on it. The kerosene hastened the fire up so much that the flame shot up the chimney. I ran out to see if there could be any harm done and to my surprise, the afire had frozen as it come out. That was just the thing! We took the frozen fire down, ground it up, and sold it for pepper. Believe it or not!

Etiquette
By Ruth Bennett

Don’t be a Goop! Know your manners. Which of your friends have the best manners? What pleases you most in their manners? Come manners to remember.
Conversation or gossip – Do not monopolize conversation, either with an older person or with people of your own age. Remember that conversation is an interchange of thought and ideas not a monologue. Courtesy demands an interest in others. If you don all the talking it is a ding that your interest centers on yourself.
Having a guest – Always rise to greet a guest, and, after seeing that he is comfortably seated, turn the conversation of interest to him. If you are a girl and your caller is a boy, who has a tendency to stay late, it is not discourteous to tell him that your parents prefer your caller should not stay after ten o’clock.
Dress – Girls, as well as boys, should be inconspicuously dressed at all times. The simple rule is not so simple as it seems, nor is it as easy to follow. Smartness is in simplicity. Consult your physique or figure, before choosing clothes. Heavy figures do not look their best in tight clothes. Complexion should determine the colors you wear and they should be harmonized and be limited. To be becomingly dressed, you should consult your mirror rather than the fashion books for many details, for dress is an individual matter.
This is the type of good manners we want – the kind that will make others more comfortable or happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home