ECD Pilgrim

I have lived my entire life near either side of the Eastern Continental Divide. And, I am a pilgrim on a road that is narrow and not easy that leads to the Celestial City of God. On my journey, I attempt to live and apply the Gospel in this world that is not my home. These are some of my observations from a Biblical and Reformed perspective.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Celtic Proverbs
Untrustworthy is that Which Would Better be Laid Out Straight

Why did Jesus speak in parables and how could He be sure that they would be correctly interpreted? When asked about this, He answered with a parable of the sower, of how some of the seed fell by the wayside and some upon stony ground, how some were chocked by thorns and how some fell on fertile ground and brought forth fruit a hundredfold. Words have no voice until they are heard, and if he listener lacks the grace to appreciate their meaning, they had best be not heard at all. Better a truth ignored that a truth misappropriated; more holy the ambiguity of human experience that the exactitude of dialectic.

R. Martin Helick, Travelers From an Ancient Land, Book XII, An Chros, (Regent Graphics: Swissvale, PA, 1993)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home